Our Vision and Mission
Thomas Edison School of Fairfax was founded to offer exceptional opportunities to gifted and talented students. We believe that all of our students can and will achieve exceptional scholastic improvement and accomplishment, and become productive, creative citizens capable of succeeding in their area(s) of strength.
Thomas Edison School of Fairfax operates on the stringent and uncompromising mission to provide the direction, time, encouragement, and resources to maximize the potential of students with exceptional gifts and talents, whether it be in the specific academic areas, creativity, or leadership.
We strongly believe that gifted and talented students should receive differentiated instruction appropriate for their own individual ability levels and needs. Education to maximize their potential must be appropriate to their educational needs and talents, administered by trained teachers.
We strive to achieve our goals to provide opportunities to our students to:
- Progress at their own individual rate and pace, appropriate to abilities and learning styles
- Surround themselves with others of similar ability and find joy in learning from an early age
- Gain self-awareness and develop positive self-confidence and self-esteem
- Develop a high level of thinking skills that entails creative thinking and problem-solving skills
- Gain effective communication skills
- Develop research and technology skills that prepare them for 21st century learning
- Grow to become caring, empathetic, contributing members of the society